GAGE SAFER STREETS
Mission Statement: To promote the creation of a safe environment on our streets for motorless motion by people of all ages.
Gage Safer Streets Foundation
The Gage Safer Streets Foundation ("GSS") is a public charity created after a very serious accident that severely injured and nearly took the life of George Esahak-Gage, a long-time Arizona triathlete and one of the organization's founders. George and his wife, Jane, were riding bicycles as part of their training regimen when both were struck by the same automobile. During his recovery from that accident, George spent months in a wheelchair, then months with a walker, and later time with a cane. He came to realize that the safe navigation of the streets and intersections in the Greater Phoenix, Arizona area is a real challenge for cyclists, disabled persons, and even able-bodied pedestrians.
George's horrific accident and his subsequent experiences caused him and many other local athletes to embark on a mission to promote streets that are safer for non-motorists in the U.S. GSS is the cornerstone of that mission.
The Foundation focuses on educating the public, both motorists and non-motorists, regarding safety on our streets. The Foundation conducts clinics on bicycle safety for children and adults, works with local governments to (among other things) add "Share the Road" signs and safe bicycle paths to transportation networks, advocates the use of helmets and other safety devices that are currently available to bicycle riders, encourages the development of new safety equipment, and financially supports other nonprofit organizations that are engaged in similar activities, such as , and .
To date, GSS has:
- Provided the "seed money" funds to LAB so start the Cyclists Legal Action and Research Fund (CLEAR)--basically, the League's first legal program. GSS' initial donation will help create a palce for injured cyclists and their families to discuss what happened and to determine if there are any legal avenues to address the roots of the problem. LAB's end goal is to have a full time staff attorney to work on cyclists' rights and other safety related legal issues.
- Provided financial support to CAzB to facilitate its efforts to create a statewide bicycle and pedestrian safety program funded by the Maricopa Association of Governments, the Arizona Department of Transportation and the Federal Government. This prgram is set to receive $750,000 in funding and should be a major step forward for the cause of creating a safer environment for cyclists and pedestrians.
- Provided funds to NOM to support its various advocacy projects including, for example, the Link the Lakes event and its assistance programs for injured cyclists.
- Provided direct financial assistance to injured cyclists and has partnered with 4Peaks Racing to raise funds through its events to help injured cyclists.
- Given educational talks in schools and has worked with the City of Phoenix to promote the Silent Sunday events at South Mountain Park and to bring about more "Share the Road" signs.
Part of the funds provided by the Foundation in 2011 have been used to start an "awareness" website for cyclists who have tragically died on U.S. roads: http://everybicyclistcounts.org/. The Foundation was named to LAB's "Champion's Circle" for bicycle advocacy in 2011.
In the future, GSS hopes to be able to fund and support Public Service Announcements on TV, radio and other ads, to raise motorist awareness about the the rights of cyclists and pedestrians with respect to our roadways. If you want to help, please contact us with your ideas at email@example.com. Also, please consider making donations to the Foundation to help further its mission.
The Gage Safer Streets Foundation is a nonprofit, 501(c)(3) organization. Contributions to the Foundation are tax deductible to the extent allowed by law.
Contributions can be made directly by using the "Donate" button below.
THE BUTTONS AT THE TOP OF THIS PAGE WILL TAKE YOU TO SOME COOL SITES--YOU MIGHT EVEN LEARN SOMETHING! JUST BE SURE TO BOOKMARK OR SAVE THIS PAGE AS ONE OF YOUR FAVORITES, SO THAT YOU CAN COME BACK TO OUR SITE AND/OR TO EXPLORE THE OTHER BUTTONS ABOVE.